Sunday 22 May 2011

A very brief history of bikes....







As I eagerly await the arrival of my new on-one carbon whippet I looked back on a what could only be described as varied collection of bikes I have owned in the last two and a bit years.
Ok I did own a spez hardrock back in the day and a somewhat lovely custom Greq Fuquay columbus, but im just referring to recent xc bikes.
Starting off in early 2008 with a Claud butler stone river bought off ebay for a £100! which actually saw me through a D2D event 2008! (which for those who remember was quite wet).
Then that winter progressing onto a real race bike a Specialized 2008 Stumpjumper comp, what a leap from the claud butler. This saw me well until the winter 2009 I purchased a Iron Horse MkIII comp which was a lovely bike but ultimately a bad choice as unclear of my riding style and what events I was entering that year I soon got rid as realised a hardtail was more suited.
So in April picked up a bargain of a Diamondback DB2 which for £849 had full XT and a scandium frame, as a budget race bike couldn't have asked for more. This saw me well through various enduros of 2010 until D2D which again was treacherous conditions and in a race for me which was plagued with mechanicals and the most horrendous amount of chainsuck which over the event wore its way through the chainstay and it snapped!
So having to get another frame in time for the following months winter series a Kona Kula Gold was picked up in the sales and stripped down for its frame. Another great bike and saw me comfortably through the UK 24hrs champs surprising for what is a very stiff frame.
Looking back I should have just kept the Stumpjumper but then I wouldn't have had the opportunity to ride so many different bikes. So with the Kona about to be regulated to singlespeed duties I looked forward to many miles with the whippet!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cycle Accident SolicitorsOur primary sponsors are CycleAid - cycle accident solicitors.

Hope Technology

On One

The Gorilla Firm

Juice Lubes

Scimitar Sports